|Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna|
Until day 4; then it kind of all falls apart. But this dish? It would be perfect for days 1, 2 and 3 of such a diet. And then for day 4 around lunch time when you give up on such a ridiculous thing as losing weight.
Pair this with a spinach salad. While it doesn't cancel out the sins of the lasagna, you won't feel quite as guilty!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
Recipe by Michelle's Dinner Bell
3-4 chicken breasts - boneless and skinless, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 tbs butter
2 tbs olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbs corn starch
1/2 pound ham, diced
3/4 baby swiss cheese, thinly sliced
No bake lasagna noodles - I like Barilla brand
Grated cheese for topping - I used a blend of sharp cheddar and mozzarella
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides.
- Add wine and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a small dish, dissolve corn starch in small amount of liquid - you can use a bit of the cream or chicken broth. This is called a corn starch slurry for future reference. There may or may not be a quiz.
- Now add the cream and slurry to your broth and wine mixture. Mix well and cook until thickened. Do not boil it - just simmer it gently.
- To assemble your lasagna, put spoonful of sauce in your baking dish, lay out your pasta, top with chicken, then ham, swiss cheese and another spoonful of sauce. Repeat layers ending with sauce.
- Cover tightly with foil - this is important when using the no-bake pastas.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove foil and top with grated cheese and bake ten minutes more.
- Let lasagna rest covered for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it.