Bacon & Bargains


I was thinking about featuring healthy cooking ideas on Wednesdays. Good idea, right? Well, last night, I sent my husband to the store and there are two things he loves - bacon and a bargain. And if you can get bacon for a bargain? Well that just makes his day. For a long time, there was a local Target that sold their Market Pantry brand of bacon for 94 cents. That's right - a whole pound of bacon (not like those people who trick you with the 12 ounce package) for less than a dollar. I never should have told him about it because it became his obsession. Whenever he saw a Target anywhere, he would pull over and check to see if they have the 94 cent bacon. No one ever did. Now, we weren't the only ones who knew of this bacon bonanza. Most of the time, the 94 cent slot was empty. Every once in a while, though, there they would be - a whole row of bacon all for just 94 cents. I never could buy more than 10 at a time. Ten pounds of bacon seems ridiculous. The checker would inevitably comment on the great deal and would tell me that it freezes beautifully. I am ashamed to say that there was never bacon in our freezer. There was no need.

So anyway, back to today.... Last night my husband met the friendly butcher lady at our local grocery store as he was looking for a bacon bargain. She took him back to the back of the store with promises of the best bacon deal in town. She pulled out a huge box full of ends and told my husband that any time he wanted, she'd sell the ends to him. Now a true bargain to me would have matched the 94 cents. She sold it to him for $2 per pound. Okay, a fair deal I suppose, but now I have this huge white package of mismatched bacon ends and pieces. So out the window my healthy cooking Wednesday plan has gone. I am now contemplating a Bacon Stuffed Boysenberry French Toast and things of that nature. We'll see what I come up with!

3 comments:

  1. Bacon Stuffed Boysenberry French Toast sounds so good. Hmm I use bacon ends to season things, never thought about actually adding to food to eat. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay tuned, I'll let you know how it works. It may be bacon-palooza recipes for a couple of days as I feel an obsession coming on!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about Bacon Tacos???

    ReplyDelete