Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry

There is a small chain of restaurants around here - I guess you'd call it a rice bowl place and it is really popular.  The one and only time I ever ate there, I walked in and ordered my bowl with all white meat and no skin.  They told me they don't do that there.  It was pretty much the equivalent of  "you get what you get and don't throw a fit," which of course works in my house when I'm saying it, but I found I'm not super fond of the saying when someone says it to me. 

Along with my mayo phobia, I hate bones and skin.  You will never see ribs on my table.  I'd be in a heap on the floor.  Now recently, my five year old has discovered a very passionate love for skin.  That's right - the one who eats practically nothing will actually eat an entire bird's worth of skin if you let him.  Do you think he does it quietly and with dignity and respect for the poor bird who gave his life for dinner?  No.  He inhales it, practically slurps it like spaghetti (which he would never put anywhere near his mouth) and then in total ogre style demands in his best I'm-really-a-man-in-a-small-boy-body voice, "MORE SKIN, PLEASE."  It is quite nauseating.  When I say we're having chicken for dinner, he says, "Just skin for me," and all I can think of is the skin scene in the Silence of the Lambs movie.  Which really the mention of that movie has no place in a food blog, now does it, so let's get back on topic here.

I am happy to report that I made a dinner last night that was neither a taco nor a sandwich.  There was no experimental salad on the side.  I also did not require Mr. Dinner Bell to take 18 photos of his plate before he was able to eat it, which is why there is no photograph of this little diddy.  

Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry
Recipe by Michelle's Dinner Bell

1 lb boneless skinless chicken tenders
1 sweet onion, cut into eighths
1 cup teriyaki sauce - My favorite is Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki
2-3 tbs canola oil, divided
10 oz broccoli slaw
8 oz linguini
3 tbs soy sauce

Early in the day, put chicken, onion and teriyaki sauce in zip top bag and marinate 3-4 hours.

1. Bring large pot of water to boil and cook pasta in salted water for 8 minutes.  Drain and rinse.
2. In large nonstick skillet, cook marinated chicken in canola oil 3 minutes each side.  Remove chicken and put onions and marinade in skillet.  Cook until onions are translucent and sauce has reduced by about half. 
3. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces.
4. Add broccoli slaw and pasta into onion and sauce mixture.  Mix well and add soy sauce to taste.  
5. Top with chicken.



2 comments:

  1. Yuuum!!! And I bet the leftovers are AWESOME - cold, right out of the fridge the next day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leftovers WERE great, but a little tip.... Toss in a little soy sauce or teriyaki to help steam it a bit when microwaving to heat it up!

    ReplyDelete